Re: LYNX-DEV Getting a site to recognize Lynx's frame capabilities

From: nospam-seesignature
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Getting a site to recognize Lynx's frame capabilities
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 10:35:25 -0400

On Mon, 25 Aug 1997, Brian Tillman, x8425 wrote:

> Last week, I connected to http://www.bbd.com/ and found it telling me that my
> browser does not support frames, even though I had configured the user agent
> string to indicate that frames were supported (i.e., I pretended to be
> Mozilla).
> Lynx presented the FRAME: links for me to choose, in spite of the message.  I
> informed the Webmaster there that my browser _did_ support frames, even
> though
> their page said it did not.  I received a very nice reply from that person
> stating that they would certainly look into it and correct the test.

Most web sites which use frames just give a canned message "you need a
browser that supports frames" outside the <FRAME> tags.  It is probably
the default message their HTML editing tool throws in.  What it should say
is that "This document contains frames - if you cannot see or access them,
you need a browser that has frame support" or something along that line.

Even without the Mozilla pretense, most sites will give you the frames to
access, since it is more common that they don't actually do any test.
They will still give the misleading "your browser..." message which isn't
visible with the graphical browsers that do support frames.

--- reply to tzeruch - at - ceddec - dot - com ---

;
;