Re: LYNX-DEV I18N work to submit

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV I18N work to submit
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 21:31:13 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 26 Aug 1997, Yaping Chen wrote:

> I have finished the code work of lynx-I18N for SCO. We are going to
> tranlate the message catalog to other languages, such as French,
> German, Japanese, Italian, Spanish and etc.
>
> The lynx version I based on is lynx2-7-1 plus fotemods-July 21.
> With the I18N work, to use different languages you do not need to
> compile the message catalog with the code, but to set the
> LC_MESSAGES environment variable to whatever language you want.
> I suggest this change is included in general distribution.
>
> The code changes mostly are separated from the current code.
> I created two new files: LYMessages.h and src/GetMessages.c
> Other changes are small, which include these files: userdefs.h,
> src/LYMain.c, src/Makefile, src/LYUtils.c. I am going to send
> these files here in my next mail unless I get some other
> suggestions.

If it is long, putting the files on a HTTP or FTP server and just
giving the URL might be better (but not required).  Anyway, I am
curious to see how much you had to change :)

> New message catalog named as lynx.msg will be translated latter.
> If anyone have old version message catalog in any other languages,
> please send me the URL. We will try not to do the repeated job.
> After we finish the work we will send you back the complete ones.
> Please also make it accessible so that I can get them. Thank you
> in advance!
>
> We also translated the lynx.man to lynx.man.html. I am sending
> you this file here in case some people want to have it.

A few nits about that: You should get rid of the (invalid) BASE tag at
the top.  Also, even if it doesn't correspond to any "official"
version, You should at least change v2.7 to v2.7.1.

> I have a question about using "lynx -dump". We plan to use this
> as the html2acsii filter in the man command for our man page
> documents in html format. The problem I have is the highlights
> are gone. Does anyone have solution for this? I can send you the
> shell script html2ascii, which calls "lynx -dump" if you need.

You would have to make changes for that, possibly only in GridText.c
(plus other places to have an option to turn the new behavior on or
off).  See how output of '_' characters is handled for "-underscore",
you may want to do something similar to output some special (control)
characters.  (Maybe print_wwwfile_to_fd has to be changed in addition,
or instead).

   Klaus

;
;