LYNX-DEV Re: Forms in Lynx

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: LYNX-DEV Re: Forms in Lynx
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 10:02:31 -0500 (EST)

address@hidden wrote to me instead of lynx-dev:
>I found a message of yours, about forms in Lynx, in the archive and wonder
>if you can help me on a related question.
>
>I'd like to be able to save a copy of a form in Lynx *after I've filled
>it in*.  Now, when I save or print, all I get is the original, blank form.
>Is there a way?

        No, there is no way to do that.  The document containing a form
is rendered with "placeholders" for form field values, and the current
values are filled in via the page display code, so you can see what they
would be if you submit the form at that point.  However, those values are
not actually part of the document, itself.  They are the "content" that
would be sent for a form submission.

        Lynx could be modified so that it's foo_fd() functions in GridText.c
fill in the current values homologously to the display_page() function, but
when you are outputting to a file descriptor (rather than to the screen) for
a "hard copy", that potentially would have personal or otherwise sensitive
information, and thus raise security/privacy issues one should think about
explicitly before deciding that this is a good idea. :)

                                Fote