Re: LYNX-DEV I18N work to submit

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV I18N work to submit
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 23:59:13 +0100 (BST)

Sorry to be picky, but one of the strong points of the Lynx community
is using HTML as more than a page layout language.

> <TITLE>lynx(1)</TITLE>

Titles should attempt to be globally unique and context free.  lynx(1) is
OK for an <H1> but not for a <TITLE>

> <B>lynx --
  ^^^              This, as with all physical markup is considered deprecated
                   by HTML 4.0, and I think gets warnings from weblint.

> <!--Meta NM "lynx"-->

                   This looks like it's from an authoring tool.  In my
                   view this should be done as a real tag, not a null
                   SGML directive with the comment containing the markup.

> distributed information browser for the World Wide Web
> </B>
> <!--Meta DN "distributed information browser for the World Wide Web"-->
> <P>
  ^^^             Isn't <P> technically a container; in which case this
                  is an empty block and I don't think <P> is allowed
                  to be empty.  You should rely on the browser to do
                  sensible spacing, or use style sheets**.

> <H2>Synopsis</H2>
> lynx [ <B><I>options</I></B> ] [ <B><I>path</I></B> or <B><I>URL</I></B> ]
         ^^^^^    Again deprecated markup.  I think this should be
                  <VAR> but I don't have an HTML reference
                  immediately to hand.  The whole line should be <CODE>.

> <H2>Description</H2>

> <DL COMPACT>
      ^^^^^^^                        This is deprecated in HTML 4.0, but
                                     probably mainly because of a failure
                                     of browsers to implement it, rather
                                     than because it is intrinsically bad.

> <P><DT><B>-</B><DD>
  ^^^                                I'm pretty sure that this is not
                                     permitted in this context - I think
                                     only <DL> is allowed, but in any case
                                     it seems to contradict the COMPACT
                                     attribute.  I don't have the DTD to
                                     hand to double check.

> <A HREF=/cgi-bin/man/man?lynx+1#lynxGet_Data><B>-get_data</B></A>
          "                                   "   Should be quoted
                                               ^^^ I think there is a logical
                                                   style for defining reference,
                                                   but this is also a style
                                                   sheets case.

> For example:
> <BR>
> <BR>
                                     Some, if not all versions of Lynx, will
                                     collapse the <BR>s.  If you want to mark
                                     this off, try <BLOCKQUOTE> and be
                                     prepared to live with the browser's
                                     rendition.

> <B>lynx -dump http://www.crl.com/~subir/lynx.html</B>
> <P>
> See also
> <A HREF=/cgi-bin/man/man?lynx+1#lynxCrawl><B>-crawl</B></A>.
           ^^^^^^^
                                     You don't want cgi-bins, unless you
                                     are hosting this on a fast server.
                                     Also note that at least one man cgi
                                     script I've seen is unsafe when used
                                     with the Gnu man.

> <P><DT>&lt;Up arrow&gt;<DD>
> <P><DT>&lt;Down arrow&gt;<DD>
> scrolls through hypertext links

                                     This is a null definition for
                                     up arrow, not a combined definition.

> subscribe to our mailing list.  Send email to
> <I>address@hidden</I> with ``subscribe lynx-dev''

** Style sheets is a bit optimistic, as I've just been discovering that
the style sheet support in MSIE is incompatible with the CSS spec (no
error recovery from unknown constructs, and very few actually implemented;
moreover I gave up trying to navigate their site for documentation on what
is implemented.)
;
;