Re: LYNX-DEV fotemods.zip update

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV fotemods.zip update
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 17:35:00 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 28 Aug 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:

>       An update of fotemods.zip is available in:
>
>       http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/fote/patches/
>
> 1997-08-28
> * Tweaks of LYExpandString() in LYCharUtils.c to do 8th bit stripping
>   rather than Uhhh substitutions for untranslated KOI8-R characters in
>   attribute values. - FM

Just in case you were wondering why any of this didn't show up yet in the
development code - I _am_ still working on it.  (Yeah I know, I've been
saying that for many months.  But it's still true :) )

With "any of this" I mean the changes to LYExpandString() and
LYUnEscapeEntities() etc. to properly translate characters in attributes.
I have noted your code changes and also your caveat in FOTEMODS.
I am aiming for something more general -- without the restriction w.r.t.
UTF-8, and also with back-translation for form submission -- and found
it necessary to make lots of changes, to pass a charset parameter in
many places.  Have bits and pieces of it lying around, but didn't want
to put it in 2.7.1ac-0.* before it is at least half working.

If I totally mess it up, we still have your code to fall back to.  :)

As for your detailed message on this topic, I didn't reply (yet) because I
wanted to try to have some "running code" first.  But basically, I think
we agree that the chartrans code is difficult to follow, especially in
SGML.c (to put it very mildly; "a mess" might better cover it).
We may disagree on how to proceed from this basic fact, maybe...
A proper state mechanism in SGML.c instead of looping tricks (your words
from FOTEMODS) would be nice; currently I am just trying not to break
the functionality there (such as it is; I am certainly not convinced that
it is doing "the right thing" in all cases now, but it could be worse).

     Klaus

;
;