LYNX-DEV charsets in bookmarks (was Re: reply to Leonid)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: LYNX-DEV charsets in bookmarks (was Re: reply to Leonid)
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 20:52:52 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 29 Aug 1997, [KOI8-R] áÎÄÒÅÊ þÅÒÎÏ× wrote:

> 1) CJK characters can be stored as is since they are not in Unicode in any
> case. HTML rendering model work with Unicode only as RFC2070 points.

But then the file should have an (implicit or explicit)
charset=<some_CJK_charset>, and all other character (including ISO-8859-1
8-bit) would have to be entified (written as &#nnn;).

> 2) I don't think that bookmark file must be too readable, most people
> want to delete/move things there, not edit TITLEs.

Maybe.  But if the title only shows up as "&#8975;&#167;&#658;&#698;&#332"
it is difficult to do anything with it outside of Lynx, even moving lines
around in an editor, because you don't know which line you are moving.
And lines can get uncomfortably long.  Also we may just get the
translation to &#nnn; form wrong because the charset we are converting
from isn't really what it says (it may still look right to the user).

> You can use something
> like <!-- 7bit approximated TITLE --> comment after any TITLE in Unicode.

The functions in Lynx which manipulate bookmark entries understand only a
limited form of links, they might not like something like this.

Anyway, I think the current handling is less general than it could be, but
is more convenient for most users (who don't do a lot of display character
set switching), once ASSUME_LOCAL_CHARSET has been set to agree with the
display character set.

    Klaus

;
;