Re: LYNX-DEV I18N work to submit (fwd)

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV I18N work to submit (fwd)
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 10:09:15 +0900 (JST)

> the Lynx source code (OK, Scott?).  Eventually, some combination of them
> might find its way into the distribution.

Timid request: can we split the distribution into two parts, the
"absolutely necessary" and the "peripheral"?  An example of what
I have in mind is the new bind distribution:
-rw-r--r--  1 user  1044813 Mar 21 08:19 bind-doc.tar.gz
-rw-------  1 user   613780 Jul  1 09:51 bind-src.tar.gz

It is nearly impossible to download any file outside of Japan greater
than 1MB to my site.  Most downloads time out after 2-3 hours, and it
usually takes longer than that to download the current lynx.  I cannot
believe that I am the only one in this predicament.

Recently I proposed a simplification of the top directory of the lynx
distribution.  Actually behind my proposal was a desire to have the
lynx-dev community begin thinking about what really needs to hit the
viewers eye when he/she first looks at the breakout.  In its present
state, it's pretty hard to know where to start reading.

To make my words a little stronger, the entire `util' directory is just
plain *baggage*.  And, why do I have to download all the chartrans tables
just to download new source code?  And to get downright nasty so that
maybe someone will listen: Gee, why don't you put in translation tables
for CJK (and add another 1MB+ to the distribution)?  Tell me, who reads
CHANGES2-3, or even CHANGES2-6, for that matter?  Anyone really looked at
what's in the `doc' directory?

My point is once you've got it, it's history.  Why waste band space and
prevent/discourage people from downloading new source code that's just
dying to be tested?

Sorry to get rude; I'm totally frustrated over here.

__Henry
;
;