downloading patches from slcc, Re: LYNX-DEV I18N work to submit

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: downloading patches from slcc, Re: LYNX-DEV I18N work to submit
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 18:08:07 +0000

Nelson Henry Eric wrote:

> > > -rw-------  1 user     8728 Aug 29 20:51 lynx2.7.1--2.7.1ac-0.57.diff.gz
> > >                        ^^^^
> > depends on how often you update (that's since April).
>
> No.  It depends on how slow a person's connection is.  You've missed
> the point.  I was only able to get 8728 bytes before the connection
> gave out, i.e., Lynx printed the download option screen.  Usually I
> can get 30,000-40,000 at that time of day.  Anyway in plain English,
> no jabs no jive, at 4-5 in the morning with ftp I might be able to
> pull down a full distribution.  I've just sort of gotten tired doing
> that.  I say no more on this topic.  Bye.

Henry, how reliable is *email* to your account?

What if you could send email to an automated account at slcc, and
receive in return an autopatch diff?  i.e. something like:

  $ mail address@hidden
  diff 2.7.1ac-0.23 current
  ^D

It shouldn't be difficult to set up such a responder; the hard parts of
the task are already being done by the WWW version of autopatch.  This
would just be a different path in.

Then it would uu- or mime-encode the archive and mail it back to you.
In your case, it might be true that such a large transaction would only
work at 4am -- but SMTP will hide those details.  The results will show
up in your mailbox whenever the wind is good.

Would the autopatch folks consider setting something like this up?  I
would also find it useful -- it's much easier on my slow/flaky/expensive
PPP link if I can get email rather than interactively provoking (and
supervising) a download.

[Extra bonus: can you make it also provide fotemods diffs -- e.g. "diff
2.7.1-fotemods-970601 2.7.1-fotemods-current"?  -- just asking, just in
case...]

>Bela<
;
;