Re: LYNX-DEV connection problems

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV connection problems
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 17:09:18 -0500 (EST)

Laura Eaves <address@hidden> wrote:
>> From: Russell McOrmond <address@hidden>
>> Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 10:48:26 -0400 (EDT)
>>   Is there certain times of the day that it is worse than normal?  I
>> notice that your provider is on the other side of some fairly busy
>> networks from myself (flora.org) and thus it might just be things timing
>> out that is the problem.
>
>I thought of that, but it doesn't time out; it fails immediately.
>I don't know the reason as intermediate statusline messages are overwritten.

        It happens immediately, and not on subsequent attempts, and not in
TRACE mode.  I can get the same effect for http://lynx.browser.org/ (and
users don't get a second chance if that's their startfile).  It happens
(not often enough to track down) for VMS and all of my Unix guest accounts,
which are in different places across the US.  Very strange, and presumeably
associated with the DNS code.  It doen't matter whether NSL_FORK has been
defined.

                                Fote