Re: LYNX-DEV I18N work to submit (fwd)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV I18N work to submit (fwd)
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 19:55:22 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 28 Aug 1997, Yaping Chen wrote:

> Here you are:
>
> ftp ftp.sco.com
> >Name: ftp
> >Passwd: (your email adrr)
> >cd tmp
> >binary
> >get lynx.i18n.tar
>
> You will get 8 files: 4 of them are new, others have minor changes.
> It is based on lynx2-7-1+fotemods-July 21.
>
> Jim: I did not put other unchanged files there. If you need them
> for testing, please let me know.
>
> Yaping

Ok, I downloaded the tar file and put the files into the PRCS
source repository on sol.slcc.edu.  This is just another diversion from
writing the LYFruitJuice() character translation function. :)
I also made some small changes to solve some problems (and remove
a change of LYNX_CFG_FILE), also checked in.

It means that diffs between the following are a available though
    2.7.1fm-0.30            2.7.1+fotemods of 1997-07-21
    2.7.1fm+scoi18n.1       the same with the changes from Yaping
    2.7.1fm+scoi18n.2       some small corrections to above

No attempt was made to further adapt this, say to a newer code version.
That should be trivial to do at any time (except for the message texts
themselves), since there are no changes to the bulk of hte lynx code.

Yaping's code uses catgets() for the message strings.  It only deals with
the strings that were already collected in LYMessages_en.h, so it is much
less comprehensive that what the folks at Chebucto have done.  (Anecdotal
evidence: an old  message a found in their mailing list archives from a
tester that the string "(assumed)" which may appear on the '=' screen was
not yet translated :) )

However, if the Chebucto changes are difficult to integrate into the
current Lynx code, so that it won't happen soon, maybe it's better than
nothing to put the changes from Yaping in in the meantime?
Anyway, without message catalogs it doesn't much sense to test it now.

I don't know on how many systems this would actually be usable, how
difficult it is to install a message catalog and how system dependent they
are, whether it requires special privileges - in short, I know very
little about i18n :(.  I think the Chebucto implementation uses the GNU
system instead, which may be easier to manage (and also more portable?).

Comments?

      Klaus

;
;