Re: LYNX-DEV W.Pac mirror?

From: John Lim Eng Hooi
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV W.Pac mirror?
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 14:23:54 +0800 (SGT)

On Thu, 28 Aug 1997, Al Gilman wrote:

> >     * From: Nelson Henry Eric <address@hidden>

> >It is nearly impossible to download any file outside of Japan greater
> >than 1MB to my site.  Most downloads time out after 2-3 hours, and it
> >usually takes longer than that to download the current lynx.  I cannot
> >believe that I am the only one in this predicament.

> Is this really anybody outside Japan?  How is your connection to
> John Lim?  Does FTPMAIL work for you (that's an overnight, but
Did I hear someone calling my name? :-) Sorry for intruding, just that I
was browsing the archives and noticed my name standing out, please ignore
if I'm NOT the John Lim you were looking for.

From what I gather, the discussion is about trouble downloading Lynx.
Just FYI, I haven't downloaded anything on Lynx recently so I can't
comment...

> there is no connection to timeout)?  Shall I start canvassing for
> a mirror in Japan?
What does it take to be a mirror? (space/time/bandwidth commitments etc.)

PS - here's a tip which some of you might already be using, but I
myself just "discovered" it...

=====

A long while ago Lynx users (me included) were discussing about background
downloading, passing the URL to a shell etc. Here's a workaround I use:

I have a separate bookmark file (using multi-bookmarks) just for "Offline
Downloads". Whenever I want to add any files to the queue, I use 'a'dd
'l'ink to that particular multibookmark. When I'm done with Lynx (or you
can shell out at any time you wish), I run this alias which uses GNU Wget:

wget -q -nc -t0 -r -c --follow-ftp -np -nd -g off --force-html offline.htm
(that particular multibookmark is offline.htm)

 - the wget options are customizable according to your preferences, refer
   to wget docs

Seems to work fine for me so far, and to manage the "queue" I use Lynx's
multibookmarks management features...

---
 John Lim Eng Hooi *  Co-System Admin, Cyber HQ * E-mail address@hidden
 Associate Editor-In-Chief, DJnet * DJnet [http://www.cyberhq.net.my/djnet]
 [ If the door is Baroque, ji-iggle the Handel! ]

;
;