LYNX-DEV LYNX: "-traversal" illegal on file://localhost/...

From: David Combs
Subject: LYNX-DEV LYNX: "-traversal" illegal on file://localhost/...
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 05:24:30 -0700

Here is what I did and got back:

{netcom9:287} testtreelynx file://localhost/u7/dkcombs/t7.html
The '-traversal' switch is for http URLs and cannot be used for
'file://localhost/u7/dkcombs/t7.html'.

One of these java magazines (java world) has an index page
of a bunch of hints and tricks, and I want to download
all those pages.

Trouble is, that same page refs all the hints and tricks
for C++ too -- a huge bunch of stuff I don't want.

My too=clever-for-lynx trick: do "\", getting the html,
write that to a file, then delete all the stuff
relating to C++, and then do treelynx on that.

Better than downloading the whole mess (java AND C++)
and then deleting all the LNK000...dat files with
a TITLE that doesn't say "java".

To make sure I didn't screw up, I did a "G"oto
that hacked-up index, and a java-only index
appeared on the screen.  Great!

But when I did the treelynx command on it,
I got the message you see at the top of this memo.

Here is treelynx:

/u13/wcheung/bin/lynxtest -show_cursor -vikeys -cache=60 lynx_bookmarks.html
-traversal -crawl -realm > /dev/null

Now, this way of hacking an html file so as to be
able to reduce the downloading to just what you want
seems REAL useful, and there ought to be some
way we could do it.

THANKS!

by the way, that version of lynx is pretty new:

Lynx Version 2.7.1ac-0.49

------

Actually -- I haven't tried it yet, but it probably
won't work either -- it would be nice for treelynx
to work on wholly-local stuff too, like if I have
downloaded some humongous bunch of documentation,
all html, and I want to print on paper some
subset of it -- might be easiest to do the
choosing what to print via lynx pretty index
page of the stuff, and then hacking THAT, and
treelynxing that -- ALL local.

(the "testtreelynx" is the alias that Al has
on his page, but uses the absolute newest
version available on netcom.com)
;
;