LYNX-DEV Multilanguage bookmarks

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: LYNX-DEV Multilanguage bookmarks
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 1997 14:01:55 -0500 (EST)

[re-send with a different Subject line, to get past whatever caused it
 to get held up by the majordomo. - FM]

"Lloyd G. Rasmussen" <address@hidden> wrote:
>Klaus Weide   <address@hidden> wrote:
>>All this doesn't solve the problem for people who want to add bookmark
>>entries in different charsets (which presumably means, pressing 'a' while
>>different "display character set" settings are in effect), or the general
>>problem of mixing character encodings in files.  That basically is a HTML
>>"limitation", since a HTML document can only have one document character
>>set and a file can have only one character encoding.  There are various
>>things that could be done, but I don't like any of them much:
>
>    Could someone use the multi-bookmark feature, with each bookmark
>file starting from a different assumed charset?

        That's the point of putting a META at the top of the bookmark
file.  If you use Lynx with more than one display character set, you
have potentially 26 bookmark files, and can arrange for ones which
will be used to receive bookmarks with the appropriate META for your
current display character set.  When you view them with a different
display character set, the META will induce the appropriate conversion,
and you can 'a'dd that to another bookmark file appropriate for your
current display character set.

                                Fote