Re: LYNX-DEV: add "run ./configure" to INSTALLATION file.

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV: add "run ./configure" to INSTALLATION file.
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 19:23:45 -0400 (EDT)

> Yesterday I downloaded the most recent lynx sources,
> typed out the INSTALLATION file, followed the various step 1
> and step 2 etc, all good stuff about hacking useredefs.h
> and lynx.cfg -- but "make" didn't work.
>
> Why? No file "makefile", just a "makefile.in".
>
> >From compiling gnu stuff I realilzed I needed to fun
> a ./configure, and looked in the directory, and
> there it was.  So I ran it, then did the make,
> all fine.
>
> But nowhere (at least nowhere I saw) did it say
> that you had to RUN ./configure...
mmm. you're right.  I've gotten too used to it.  It used to be that
I'd look at the top-level directory for 'Makefile', try a "make -n"
to see what happened, then look at README/INSTALL/{Capitals} for a
better guess.

Over the past couple of years, if I notice a 'configure' (or 'Configure'),
I'll look at that first: peek inside to see if it's autoconf (if so, look
at the options using configure --help), and if not, look at the README's
(some of those other "configure" scripts need a little help).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden