Re: LYNX-DEV Patch for development version 0.58

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Patch for development version 0.58
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 22:08:05 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 2 Sep 1997, Klaus Weide wrote:

> Part of your change is to make the iso06_uni.tbl and iso08_uni.tbl used.
> They were always in the src/chrtrans directory (without the 'M' and 'O'

Sorry, I never noticed them before and thought that they had just been
added.

> the scripts for which they are used (Hebrew, Arabic) are written
> right-to-left, for which lynx doesn't have support, I thought those
> charsets might not be useful for anyone.  I think I have never seen

These are actually Latin/Arabic and Latin/Hebrew, with the lower order
characters US-ASCII and the higher order characters in Arabic or Hebrew.
I don't have the Arabic character set available for my DOS machine, but
I did set my character set to ISO 8859-8 and checked conversion from
the ISO 8859-1 test set. This converted well and should be useful for
someone with Latin/Hebrew as their usual display character set, trying
to browse the web and read pages in ISO 8859-1 or other common character
sets. There are web pages written in Hebrew. I don't know if they use
this character set. Since you only have to read the page and not write
it with lynx, I don't see where left-to-right or right-to-left makes a
difference. Is there an internal problem with the representation that I
am missing?

                            Doug
__
Doug Kaufman