Re: LYNX-DEV Patch for development version 0.58

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Patch for development version 0.58
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 20:50:05 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 3 Sep 1997, Doug Kaufman wrote:

> I am still confused.  Isn't this the responsibility of whoever is
> putting up the html page? Anyone placing a web page with a right-to-left
> language should be doing markup so that it appears correct when read by
> a browser.  Are you implying that other browsers will take the same html
> page in ISO 8859-8 (or ISO 8859-6) and display it in the reverse order
> as lynx?

Yes indeed.  Or at least some of them will, for texts in some Hewbrew
and Arabic charsets.

Actually, according to one Web page I found, this should not be the case
for charset=iso-8859-8, and pages using the "implicit" (or "logical")
order should be labelled with charset=iso-8859-8-i; but implicit order
also applies to Unicode text (including its encoding UTF-8) and the
Windows and Mac Hebrew fonts.

If I am wrong about this please tell me...

  Klaus

;
;