Re: LYNX-DEV Patch for development version 0.58

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Patch for development version 0.58
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 19:45:41 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 3 Sep 1997, Wayne Buttles wrote:

> A file is a file.  The data is sequential from start to finish.  If your
> language goes from right to left then you should be able to expect your
> programs to wordwrap at the left side rather than having to write
> interlaced text.  Does that make it clearer?  I admit, until that last
> message or so I was a bit perplexed myself.

Thanks.  This makes it a little clearer.  For a charset that is entirely
in a right-to-left language, it seems that a browser configured for that
language would be appropriate.  The problem that I see, however, is that
charsets like ISO 8859-8 are mixed Latin and a right-to-left language.
I had assumed that they were read left-to-right with the higher
characters substituted in on a character by character basis according to
the character definitions.  Are there browsers that switch the direction
of reading according to the individual character being read, within a
page written in one charset?

                              Doug
__
Doug Kaufman