Re: LYNX-DEV: add "run ./configure" to INSTALLATION file.

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV: add "run ./configure" to INSTALLATION file.
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 15:00:02 -0700

> From address@hidden Fri Sep  5 11:35:18 1997
> Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 13:13:52 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Klaus Weide <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV: add "run ./configure" to INSTALLATION file.
> Sender: address@hidden
>
> On Tue, 2 Sep 1997, David Combs wrote:
>
> > Yesterday I downloaded the most recent lynx sources,
>
> ... of the development code, to be exact...
>
> > typed out the INSTALLATION file, followed the various step 1
> > and step 2 etc, all good stuff about hacking useredefs.h
> > and lynx.cfg -- but "make" didn't work.
> >
> > Why? No file "makefile", just a "makefile.in".
> >
> > >From compiling gnu stuff I realilzed I needed to fun
> > a ./configure, and looked in the directory, and
> > there it was.  So I ran it, then did the make,
> > all fine.
> >
> > But nowhere (at least nowhere I saw) did it say
> > that you had to RUN ./configure...
>
> Yes, the INSTALLATION file is still the unchanged version from Lynx 2.7.1,
> without any mention of the changed procedure.  I believe it's on Tom's
> todo list.  But since you just went through reading the stuff (maybe for
> the first time?), you are in a good position to know where it needs to be
> added, and what else is missing.  Maybe you could make the changes and
> send them back (or a diff, or put them online).
>
>     Klaus
>
> ;
> ; To UNSUBSCRIBE:  Send a mail message to address@hidden
> ;                  with "unsubscribe lynx-dev" (without the
> ;                  quotation marks) on a line by itself.
> ;

Just above "UNIX Step 1d", add:

  UNIX extra step:  run configure, eg "./configure", and
   wait while it figures out what software is on your
   computer, what type of computer and operating system
   you have, etc, and then finally uses makefile.in
   to produce the makefile that will get used when
   you finally (later on) say "make".

That will do it!
;
;