Re: LYNX-DEV ac#59: --with-cfg-file option needs fixing

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV ac#59: --with-cfg-file option needs fixing
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 18:46:47 -0400 (EDT)

> What exactly is is that bash prevents you from doing?  And does it work
> with other Bourne-like shells?
no - I just realized what the problem was (there's no workaround for
what I _wanted_ to do, which was to show the actual default value in
the configure --help message, since that breaks quoting).

The problem (to recap - I'm seeing this less-late-at-night ;-)

#!/bin/sh -x
exec_prefix=/usr
libdir='${exec_prefix}/lib'
# this evaluates it
eval "echo $libdir"
# this doesn't
echo $libdir
# (in either case, I cannot put $libdir in a help-message & make sense out
# of it).

So what autoconf does is to avoid it altogether (that's where they use
the "EPREFIX" string in the help-message).

> > > Otherwise I can use f.e.
> > > --with-cfg-file=/usr/local/etc/lynx.cfg
> > > but Makefile 'install' target still installs
> > > /usr/local/lib/lynx.cfg
> > > due to "libdir" variable default.
>
> By the way, should there also be an "install-help" makefile target for
> installing the files in the lynx_help/ and about_lynx/ directories?
> Ideally this should put the files in the same place pointed to by the
> lynx.cfg file.
ok

--
Thomas E. Dickey