LYNX-DEV Local Lynx for DOS or Win3.1?

From: DPlourde
Subject: LYNX-DEV Local Lynx for DOS or Win3.1?
Date: 8 Sep 97 14:37:14 EDT

I hope you can help me.

I am a Netscape user who does not believe that "Netscape enhanced" should not
automatically mean "Lynx crippled."  Very little annoys me more than a site
which is clearly designed with the starry-eyed assumptions of high-speed
modem, screamingly fast processor, and cutting-edge graphical browser.  (I
spent too long trying to use Lynx to maneuver my way through poorly designed
sites - can you tell?)

I dabble in web page design ( http://www.marymt.edu/~modlang/ - in case you
are interested), and I try to make these pages text-only friendly.

It would be easier if I could get a copy of Lynx that I could run on my PC - a
486DX2, 66MHz, DOS 6.2, Win3.1.

I seem to have found a reference to Lynx 2.7 for DOS 386+, which would
probably work, but I am not certain what else I need.  The blurb (
http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/lynxport.htm ) mentions that I should have a
packet driver.  Would this be necessary for me?  I am not planning on using
this as my primary browser (yet ;-), I simply want something so I can test the
pages locally when they are in development.  So all the URLs would look like
file:///c:/html/index.htm.

Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Denise Plourde
address@hidden
address@hidden