LYNX-DEV lynx problems

From: andrei
Subject: LYNX-DEV lynx problems
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 14:50:39 +0100

>     * If you are encountering difficulty with Lynx you may write to
>        address@hidden The developers definitely want to hear if
>       you have trouble with the current version of the code. Trouble

Well, unfortunately I am having trouble with lynx:

1) the unix and VMS versions cannot properly handle some forms
(especially those at geocities.com)
2) they also don't handle tables or maps
3) Although it's not standard, it would be fine if when there is no
  ALT text for an image, lynx would display its filename (something
  like [setup] is better than [INLINE] for a setup.gif file for instance)
4) It's nice that now lynx can work in batch mode, however it would be even
   nicer if it could retrieve "deep" i.e. given a url, lynx should retrieve
   that URL plus all the files on the same server in the same directory or
   below (files that are referred as <a href= ...> or <xxx SRC=xxx>)
   with some options (such as load images or not, make directory tree
   or make .tar.gz   etc.)
5) Even nicer: Combine lynx and midnight commander. (Yeah, dreams, I know)
6) Lynx should also have some built in terminal conventions (for example
   "vanilla ANSI" i.e. the MS-DOS's ANSI.SYS commands only (with or without
   color, with or without autodetection of window size - Yes even dos allows
   that - and WITHOUT mode commands like esc[=... or esc[?...)

   My algorithm for autodetection is to disable auto wrap, clear screen,
   output 100 line feeds and 150 spaces then query the position. (All ANSI
   stuff). However, lynx should also allow manual settings (several settings
   in a config file).
   Last but not least, there are terminals which cannot be well described
   unsing termcap or terminfo (such as those who use bitwise attribute
   settings  like ^T<x> where x is in '@'...'P' and the last 4 bits mean
   inverse, underline, blink and secondary font - secondary font could be
   loaded with bold or italics) .

;
;