Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx through firewall

From: Joseph Scanlan
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx through firewall
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 19:23:34 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 10 Sep 1997, Vijay Anisetti
<address@hidden> wrote:

> I wanted to know if "lynx" is capable of running via a firewall.
> Thank you very much for your help.

Yes.

I've done this two different ways.  On Un*x systems set
environment variable http_proxy to http://relay:8080/ .
VMS is similar using logicals.  One advantage of shell
variables or logicals is they are available for other
browsers as well.  NCSA Mosaic will use them, I don't know
about any others.

On my Windows 95 machine, I edited lynx.cfg to set
http_proxy.  This was the first thing I tried on my PC and
it worked.

This assumes you have a proxy server running on host relay
using port 8080.  lynx.cfg has variables for other proxies
you can set, if your firewall supports them.

------------- My opinions are mine alone, and that fact -------------
------------- provides intense relief for my coworkers. -------------
Joe Scanlan  N7XSD                               Clark County, Nevada
Systems Programmer                               Informations Systems
address@hidden (not work)                             PO Box 551761
address@hidden (work)                   Las Vegas, NV  89155-1761
702 455-4932 (FAX)                                                USA
------------------- http://coyote.accessnv.com/jps ------------------

;
;