Re: LYNX-DEV packet driver needed

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV packet driver needed
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 22:38:49 +0100 (BST)

address@hidden wrote:

> I down loaded Lynx dos and it played but closed as soon as

Is this DOS Lynx or the DJGPP port of Unix Lynx?  In the former
case, start by getting the latter, unless you are really tight on
memory - I would chance running the latter in 2M rather than running
DOSLynx.

> the error "packet driver not found" even though I was logged
> on the net at the time. ibm 486 clone, dos 6.22

If you are "logged on the net" in some sense, there is not enough
information here.  In particular, if "the net" means a LAN, you
should consult your local network administrator.  If they are unable to
help, you will need a reasonable level of technical knowledge, or someone
local with that knowledge to  proceed any further.

If the net is a LAN and does not use TCP/IP, and you intend to use Lynx
over a dial up connection via a serial port on the machine, you will
probably be able to succeed with either SLIP8250 or the PPP driver
quoted in another reply, depending on what options are supported by your
dial up service provider.  You should be able to get them, and the
documentation, from the quoted directory at your local SimtelNet mirror,
or from a SimtelNet CD (I have the packet driver collection before the
Simtel-SimtelNet split).

However, you should still try the network administrator first, as they
are more likely to have the relevant knowledge; they may also know of
any interactions with between your network drivers and packet drivers.

If you only need a dummy packet driver to allow you to look at local
files, SLIP8250 is probably best, provided you have a free serial port
to assign it to.  There is still a marginal risk of a conflict.

If a LAN is in use and it is routed to the internet, you are will need
to know how both the current LAN drivers work and how packet drivers work.
If your machine is already using TCP/IP you need a real expert on protocol
stacks to get any further; ask if pktmux may help, but don't expect
a positive reply.  If it is not used for TCP/IP on your machine,
but does carry TCP/IP routed to the internet, you may have to replace
several of the existing drivers, possibly with older alternatives (e.g.
Netware may have to revert from a VLM configuration to a NETX one).

> Where can I get the "Proper" packet driver and installation
> instruction?

"Proper" depends on whether you are using SLIP or PPP on a serial port,
or whether you want to use an ethernet card (in which case each sort
of card has its own) or whether you want to piggy back on an existing
ethernet card driver.

One final option, if you don't need to run Lynx at the same time as other
things (or, in practice access files on the network other than by FTP
or NFS++), and you have at least 4M of RAM and 40MB of free disk space,
is to get your local Linux fanatic to install a UMSDOS based version
of Linux - they should know how to deal with your LAN (a dedicated DOS
configuration might be worth investigating too).

++ Linux can handle Netware 3 and Microsoft file sharing, with some caveats,
but less people are familiar with configuring it.
;
;