Re: LYNX-DEV w32-lynx: ­ != ­

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV w32-lynx: ­ != ­
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 20:56:20 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, Bernhard Muenzer wrote:

> I found an inconsistency in the handling of entity tables in UNIX (2-7-1)
> and Win32 (2.7.1ac-0.49). The Unix version handles the soft hyphen correctly,
> regardless of whether it is presented in 8-bit code, as "­" or as
> "­".
>
> The Win32 version only handles the 8-bit and "­" presentations correctly,
> while "­" seems to be translated to a regular hyphen.

Actually, to whatever the selected display character set translation table
has for U+00AD (if anything...)

> The effect can be seen in
> http://www.forwiss.uni-passau.de/~ramsch/Test/trennung.html
>
> Here is the relevant part of the page, captured from a Lynx-W32 screen
> (it is in German, but the effect should be self-evident):
>
>   Mit der Entity >>&#173;<<
>
>    Be=son=ders laen=gere Woer=ter wie
>    Do=nau=dampf=schif=fahrts=ge=sell=schafts=ka=pi=taens=muet=zen=her=stel=
>    lungs=fa=brik=lei=ter=aus=bil=dung sind schwer oh=ne Hil=fe trenn=bar
>    und oh=ne Trenn=hilfe auch gar nicht um=zu=brechen.
>
>   Mit der Entity >>&shy;<<
>
>    Besonders laengere Woerter wie Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapi-
>    taensmuetzenherstellungsfabrikleiterausbildung sind schwer ohne Hilfe
>    trennbar und ohne Trennhilfe auch gar nicht umzubrechen.
>
> The Unix version displays both paragraphs in the same way.

It is not so much a difference between Unix and Win32 version, but depends
on the display character set in use (I assume you are using a different
one for Win32 than for Unix, and that the Unix version is also
2.7.1ac-0.49 or close enough).

Anyway, this will be fixed tonight in the development code.

   Klaus

;
;