Re: LYNX-DEV Using PC version of LYNX as Standalone

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Using PC version of LYNX as Standalone
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 21:51:07 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 14 Sep 1997 Laura Seabrook wrote:

> I downloaded a PC version of LYNX with the intention of running it in a
> stand-alone mode on my PC. That way i could check my pages before uploading
> them.
> But whenever I try and run the program, it says that it can'r contact the
> remote host
> and terminates!

This error suggests that lynx may not be able to find your lynx.cfg file
which has your STARTFILE listed as a local file, or that you have
STARTFILE set as a remote URL.  Check that your have a packet driver
loaded (slip8250.com works fine for this), and that you have set in your
environment HOME (points to lynx.rc directory), LYNX_CFG (points to the
lynx.cfg file), and either WATTCP.CFG or WATCONF (depending on the DOS
version of lynx) (points to the wattcp.cfg directory).  Use
forward-slash paths in all these environment variables.  Only LYNX_CFG
has the filename appended.

Write back to the list at address@hidden if this doesn't fix the
problem.
                             Doug