Re: LYNX-DEV Mainframes, 3270 and Lynx FORMs

From: Kevin Ternes
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Mainframes, 3270 and Lynx FORMs
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 09:06:15 -0400

Nelson Henry Eric wrote:

> Sort of a last-ditch effort, but maybe, just maybe.  IF you have
> some "extra" keys (f-keys, number pad, anything) AND IF your telnet
> emulator lets you define any of those keys, you  might be able to
> define a single key to send "Ctrl-U".  Big IFs there, but I was able
> to do that with the weird Fujitsu PCs we've got here.

This turned out to be the solution!  It does not clear the line, it just
deletes the last single character, but that's probably even better.

Several others suggested the Ctrl-U solution.  This failed when I tried
it on a real 3270 because a real 3270 does not have a control key!  When
I tried using a 3270 emulator on a PC, funny characters appeared in the
textbox. I was pressing the SEND key and then ctrl-U.  I guess "Control"
does not exist in a 3270 environment.

Success came when we redefined one of the PF keys in the A-Net
software's configuration files:  PF10 ==> SEND ~U
This way, the ctrl-U originates in the A-Net software and travels to the
UNIX machine.  I don't have to generate a ctrl-U at the 3270 terminal
and have the sequence passed through the mainframe.

Thanks to everyone who contributed suggestions.

Also, thanks to Robert Bonomi who answered Klaus' questions without ever
seeing this system or the A-Net in action.  Actually, A-Net is a black
box to me.  I know what it does (telnet, assuming an IP gateway is in
place) but have never read any documentation on it.  It was installed on
the mainframe before I ever started trying to configure Lynx.

-jkt

--
J. Kevin Ternes                     mailto:address@hidden
;