LYNX-DEV Optimizing Lynx on HP-UX

From: Kevin Ternes
Subject: LYNX-DEV Optimizing Lynx on HP-UX
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 17:07:09 -0400

All;

I usually configure Lynx (2.7.1ac-064) on my HP-UX 10.10 system with
  rm config.cache config.status config.log
  export LIBS="-lHcurses"
  export CFLAGS="-O -D_HP_CURSES"
  ./configure -disable-dired -disable-long-list -disable-parent-dir-refs
and this gives me no problems.

Just for grins, I decided to see if I could get a smaller,
faster executable by doing further optimization.  Actually it's
not just for grins, we get a lot of concurrent users.  A smaller
image in memory would be welcome.

So I changed my CFLAGS to "-O +Onolimit +Osize -D_HP_CURSES".
The +Onolimit flag on the snake directs the optimizer to carry
out all optimizations regardless of the resources that they
consume at compile time.  The +Osize flag suppresses optimizations
that might increase the size of the image.

When I did this, the make quits here:
  cc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -I.. -I../WWW/Library/Implementation -O +Onolimit
   +Osize -D_HP_CURSES -Aa -D_HPUX_SOURCE -DSNAKE  -c ./LYGetFile.c
  cc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -I.. -I../WWW/Library/Implementation -O +Onolimit
   +Osize -D_HP_CURSES -Aa -D_HPUX_SOURCE -DSNAKE  -c ./LYMain.c
  cc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -I.. -I../WWW/Library/Implementation -O +Onolimit
   +Osize -D_HP_CURSES -Aa -D_HPUX_SOURCE -DSNAKE  -c ./LYMainLoop.c
cc: mainloop(): error 6355: Bit vectors: Set out of memory. (6355)
  *** Error exit code 1

  Stop.
  *** Error exit code 1

  Stop.

Would this indicate a shortcoming with the snake's optimizer or
a problem with the mainloop() function?  Or both?

-jkt

--
J. Kevin Ternes                     mailto:address@hidden
;