Re: LYNX-DEV HREF pedantry

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV HREF pedantry
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 08:14:14 +0100 (BST)

> not at all:
>  _  is -- as usual in names of files, links etc -- a place-filler for a space,
> so Lynx should supply  _  in this case where there is no ambiguity.

Unix, Macintosh and NTFS filenames can contain spaces, and NT makes it so
easy to include spaces that our reasonably technically aware marketing
person used them in all the icons for web based application I'm working
on and even the name of the mockup page.  The MSIE/PWS combination treats
spaces in HREFs and the open box as spaces.  The get reflected as the
correct %20 in relative URLs, but I haven't checked whether it is MSIE
(3.02 Win 32) or PWS that is correcting them.

Basically, the only reasonable translation for space is %20.  + does not
work with PWS, except in forms - I'm not in a position to confirm whether
this is broken or just a lack of orthogonality in the rules for URLs.

Except in rare collision cases, the exact translation is irrelevant for
fragments as long as all uses are translated the same.

PWS Peer Web Services, the limited connection server bundled with NT 4
and, I think, Win 95.  It is a nobbled version of IIS.
;
;