Re: LYNX-DEV rearranging userdefs.h

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV rearranging userdefs.h
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 13:25:35 -0400 (EDT)

970916 Henry wrote:
> My suggestion to move the anonymous-account specific defines
> out of userdefs.h and put them in a separate file was not well received,
> and for understandable reasons.

i missed the reasons: did they go thro' lynx-dev?  what were they?

> The same aim,
> to make it less painful for someone to compile Lynx for the first time,

not just for the first time: ANYONE who's compiling it for themselves only.

> might be better achieved by simply consolidating, making more brief,
> and moving to the end of userdefs.h all the defines re public-access Lynx.

YES, PLEASE!!
there is a tendency around lynx-dev to assume that everyone runs a system
with lots of potentially dangerous unknown users.
some of us just want to compile & use the latest Lynx
for our own individual purposes
& we don't want to have to wade thro' megabytes of instructions
how to protect yourself from anonymous attackers.
it's high time this distinction was fully recognised in Lynx material:
let's have a Public Lynx version & an Individual Lynx version,
the latter being a great deal smaller.

> A patch to do that is appended (based on lynx2.7.1ac-0.60).
> The defaults are slightly more "paranoid" for OUTSIDE and random g)oto's.

what you've done looks excellent & is long overdue (no criticism of you).
by all means lets give the sysadmins lots of paranoia: they seem to enjoy it.

;