Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx on Red Hat Linux

From: Jim Dennis
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx on Red Hat Linux
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 23:12:51 -0700

> Hello,
>       My name is Anna Selvia and I work in the marketing department of
> Red Hat Software, Inc. (www.redhat.com) We are makers of Red Hat Linux
> which is the leader of ditributions of the Linux operating system.

        Anna,

        Lynx is GPL software.  It's been included in the last several
        versions of Red Hat (in fact I think it's been in every one).
        It's also included in the vast majority of other Linux
        distributions.

        I found your question about "whether" (our product) Lynx
        runs under Red Hat to be hilarious.  So much so that I called
        in my wife and roommate to come and redicule your message.

        While I understand your needs and actually like the idea
        of a Red Hat ISV -- I'd suggest that you do a little more
        research about these "products" (packages) before attempting
        these "vendor" contacts.

> to know if it runs on Red Hat Linux, and if you would be interested in
> being listed in our first Software Directory which will be available on

        It would be nice if you listed the free packages *WITH
        DESCRIPTIONS*.  Have one of your techies just extract all
        the package descriptions and convert them to HTML (with
        pretty minimal markup, just enough to hadd the URL/link
        to the .rpm file it describes).  With a little extra work
        you could develope a 'make' file that does this for the
        whole tree (with some pretty simple perl or awk code to
        add the HTML).

> the web site and in printed form. This directory will be a reference for
> companies looking to purchase software that runs on Red Hat Linux. Also,
> coming out this fall is a software branding program that will allow ISV's
> to get star-billing as "Red Hat Linux Compatible". If you are interested
> in participating in Red Hat Software's ISV program or would like to get
> more information, please contact me at 919-547-0012 X242 or by e-mail.
>
> I am looking forward to hearing from you.

        My earlier jibes aside I'd like to point out that
        this is a developer's mailing list -- where we also do
        the bulk of the available technical support (that's about
        all I contribute, in fact).  We don't have a "product" or
        any "sales."

        I don't speak for Lynx, and from what I've seen no one
        else tries to.  The most active developers seem to be Fote
        and Klaus (you can get their full names from the list's
        archives).  This is as close to working anarchy as you can
        get (which is very much like the broader Linux community
        and, so, should be familiar to you).

--
Jim Dennis  (800) 938-4078              address@hidden
Proprietor, Starshine Technical Services:  http://www.starshine.org