Re: LYNX-DEV source size, source reorganization

From: Brian Tillman, x8425
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV source size, source reorganization
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 08:32:27 -0400

On Tue, 16 Sep 1997 "T.E.Dickey" <address@hidden> wrote:

>I assume that whoever's interested in keeping VMS working will tell us
>when we make changes that break something on that platform.

If I used the development code, I would.  I stick strictly to fotemods.  I
understand those changes better for some reason.

On 17 Sep 1997 Nelson Henry Eric <address@hidden> wrote:

>                                                 I know for a fact that
>you, Fote, are not the only knowledgeable person who compiles Lynx on
>VMS.  Those are the people who are not making any efforts, IMHO.

I compile lynx on VMS every time a new fotemods comes out.  Notice what I said:
I _compile_ it.  I also _understand_ VMS well enough.  What I'm lacking is the
ability to program in C.  I can make small changes to C to modify a program's
behavior (like adding another parameter to a command line, for example), but
only because programs contain examples already of what I wish to do.  (If there
is code to parse a parameter in a C program, it's fairly easy to add code to
parse another one using cut and paste.)  I could never figure out why some C
code might fail to compile, however, or produce wrong run-time results.  What
kind of "effort" do you envision I could produce?

On 17 Sep 1997 Foteos Macrides <address@hidden> wrote:

>                                                      So unless people
>with substantive experience developing on VMS and an earnest concern
>about keeping Lynx ported to that platform join the ranks of "currently
>active Lynx developers", VMSers would be wise to recognize that the
>future of Lynx on VMS is still unclear.

Would that I _could_ contribute to the effort of keeping VMS a viable lynx
platform.
 Brian Tillman                   Internet: tillman_brian at si.com
 Smiths Industries, Inc.                   tillman at swdev.si.com
 4141 Eastern Ave., MS239        Addresses modified to prevent
 Grand Rapids, MI 49518-8727     SPAM.  Replace "at" with "@"
        This opinion doesn't represent that of my company

;
;