LYNX-DEV Lynx

From: CAnder7389
Subject: LYNX-DEV Lynx
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 16:43:35 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Developers,

I am writing from the American Printing House for the Blind.  We are
installing a database for persons who are visually impaired.  It will contain
directory information for locating books and materials in accessible media
(braille, large print, sound recordings, and computer files).  We will be
putting this database on the Internet so teachers, students, adult readers,
and administrators can find these rare materials.  We are a nonprofit
company.

I am not on your mailing list, so please send a response to this e-mail to
address@hidden

We have chosen Star software, by Cuadra Associates for the database.  Earlier
versions of Star worked fine with Lynx.  This was a real plus for us, since
Lynx is one of the most popular browsers for blind/visually impaired persons.
 However, I am writing to you because the most recent release of Star for the
Internet is not working with Lynx.  We're hoping you have some clue as to
what is happening.

To see what I'm referring to (if you are willing to take this question on)
please go to URL http://www.cuadra.com  Select the "Movie" database.  You
will notice that you can enter searches, but when you select "submit" nothing
happens.  If you type in the command

"http://www.cuadra.com:80/cgi-bin/starfinder/20921/moviestar.txt?action=2+0+6+
1+0+0+moviestar.linkfilm+|+FILM%3D%22THE+SILENCE+OF+THE+LAMBS%22+AND+YEAR%3D19
91

it will search.

Another URL to try is http://www.nara.gov/nara/jfk/jfk_search.html
The same problem occurs - nothing happens when you try to search.  And, all
the information does not display properly.

The programmer at Cuadra thinks that Lynx may be having trouble with the
non-alphabetic characters.  Is this the case?

Please let me know if this question is in your realm.  If not, do you know
who else I could contact?

I would really be appreciative of any assistance you could give.

As fate would have it, we are hoping to launch this database at our user's
meeting on October 16, 1997.  So, any immediate help would be very
appreciated!

Thank you,
Christine Anderson
Resource Services Manager