Re: LYNX-DEV new to LYNX

From: Jim Dennis
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV new to LYNX
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 15:52:15 -0700

> Jim Dennis <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Will I be able to  browse the FULL INTERNET using LYNX?
>>> I am using LYNX at my job, and the computer does not have window!
>>
>>      The web is not the FULL INTERNET!
>>
>>      Web browsers (such as Lynx, Mosaic, Netscape and MSIE) only
>>      access the web, ftp, and gopher.  These are only a few of
>>      the services and protocols supported by the Internet.
>
> Indeed.  However, in most cases, one can configure lynx (as well as others)
> to provide access to other services on the internet via the use of
> mailcap entries, if the user can find internet tools that run on their
> platforms.  For instance, if one has an IRC, email, etc. client, one can
> set up the appropriate lynxexec to invoke it.  Lynx also supports
> nntp, so that  a user can read and post news articles.  Etc.

        Larry,

        You'll note that I did address most of this (accept the notes
        about helper apps) in later portions of my response.

        I structured the article to start with all initial the problems,
        respond with a number of solutions to those problems, refine a
        new set problems, and finally conclude with a note about
        how webmasters that have no content to provide are typically the
        ones which are least attractive in Lynx.

        I forwarded a copy of this to Linux Gazette (where I publish
        a few articles and maintain a help column) in the hopes that
        some of the issues I raised will creep into the collective
        consciousness and be reflected back in the form of better HTML
        and more accessible sites for all of us.

        (I am my employer -- so everything I say should be construed
        as such).

--
Jim Dennis  (800) 938-4078              address@hidden
Proprietor, Starshine Technical Services:  http://www.starshine.org