Re: LYNX-DEV New in VFAQ

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV New in VFAQ
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 21:26:22 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 18 Sep 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:
[...]
>       But at time of invokation, the lynxexec and lynxprog URLs
> will be rejected if they have relative path fields ("../" for
> Unix, and minus fields in brackets for VMS), or if they have
> "strange characters" on Unix.  The latter seems too restrictive
> in the present code, and perhaps only ';' should be a cause for
> rejection, but I've been reluctant to change that filter without
> explicit discussion about it by those you use lynxexec or lynxprog
> URLs seriously on Unix, which has yet to take place in lynx-dev.
>
>       Using '+' as part of a Usenet group name indeed was a
> very bad idea on someone's part, but it can be used as a switch
> token (not just '-') on Unix, so blocking it is problematic.

> The current blocking of '&' also seems excessive.

Currently the same tests are also applied for the paths of lynxcgi URLs
(after %-decoding of the path, at least for the development code).
It's ok to be more restrictive since it applies only to the file path
in a lynxcgi (what is before a '?') and not to the whole command, but even
there blocking '+' seems excessive.

Probably what characters are allowed in such special URLs should be
configurable.

Btw '+' is not uncommon in newgroup names:
XGTITLE *+*
282 list follows
bit.listserv.c+health   Computer and Health Discussion List.
comp.lang.c++           The object-oriented C++ language.
comp.std.c++            Discussion about C++ language, library, standards.
gnu.g++.announce        Announcements about the GNU C++ Compiler. (Moderated)
gnu.g++.bug             g++ bug reports and suggested fixes. (Moderated)
gnu.g++.help            GNU C++ compiler (G++) user queries and answers.
gnu.g++.lib.bug         g++ library bug reports/suggested fixes. (Moderated)
hepnet.lang.c++         Discussions of the use of C++
rec.travel.australia+nz Travel Information for Australia and New Zealand.
sci.geo.rivers+lakes    Science of rivers and lakes.
comp.lang.c++.moderated Technical discussion on C++ language. (Moderated)
rec.scouting.guide+girl Guiding and Girl Scout Organizations.
comp.std.c++            Discussion about C++ language, library, standards.
(Moderated) (Moderated)

   Klaus

;
;