Re: LYNX-DEV two problems with Patch-O-Matic

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV two problems with Patch-O-Matic
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 00:02:40 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 19 Sep 1997, Nelson Henry Eric wrote:

> Actually Bela has already pointed this out in the context of "WebMail".
> I find the same problems using "wget", namely 1) the file does not come
> compressed and 2) completely new files are not included in the patch.
> While the second problem can be overcome by downloading the missing
> files, it sort of defeats the purpose of the patch service.  Because the
> size of the patches can soon become rather large (for an absurdly slow
> link that is), compression is very desirable.  In case it will help,
> I'll append the log from "wget" (the "[text/plain]" seems fishy).  Also
> for those not familiar with what might happen if you don't have a file
> that is referenced, I append the compile errors you would get if you
> applied a patch taking you from ac60 to ac68 without getting the necessary
> files or editing out the references to them.

Henry, you are right, the patch script didn't behave like I believe I
claimed.  I hadn't really tested much what happens when it is not invoked
via a form submission and was making false assumptions.  Please accept my
apologies.

First, "&compressed=y" should have been "&compress=y".
I have changed the script now to also accept the first form.

Second, I changed the script to include new files by default if invoked
without a "&new=n" parameter, as diffs against an empty file.  You can
still override it by appending "new=n" and will then just get "Only in .."
lines as before.

Third, I changed the default for diff flags to be "-c", instead of no
flags (if not invoked from the form).

The "text/plain" isn't fishy, that's how the result is sent (so those more
fortunate than you can view diffs in Lynx without first having to download
them).  Try wget with the --debug flag next time you use it, it should
show you the headers as they are received.

The changes were done withing the last half hour or so, so if you tested
during this time you may have gotten inconsistent results.  Let me know
whether things work as expected now.

    Klaus

;
;