Re: LYNX-DEV -dump behaviour in lynx 2.7.1

From: Jim Spath (Webmaster Jim)
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV -dump behaviour in lynx 2.7.1
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 09:38:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 19 Sep 1997, Derek C. Richardson wrote:

> Subject: Re: Question about -dump on lynx 2.7.1 for Un*x
>  Hi! I've looked through help files and FAQs but haven't been able to
> ind a way to force lynx 2.7.1 NOT to break lines after 80 columns when
> using the Un*x command-line option "-dump".
> ---
> A helpful soul replied that the 80 column limit is hard-coded in
> LYCurses.c. I verified that this is indeed the case, even in the latest
> version. It sure would be nice to be able to control this value, or to
> suppress it altogether so that Lynx makes no attempt to format data from
> a "-dump" command. Is this something that might appear in a future
> release?

I did some quick checks, and the screen can be widened to 132 columns
on my Sun box by setting the COLUMNS environment variable, and
possibly also using vt100-w as the terminal type.  However, the -dump
switch ignores this.

Perhaps this part of LYMain.c that parses the command line could
be changed to recognize the COLUMNS variable, or by reading the
cols variable in the -term setting:

    } else if (strncmp(argv[0], "-dump", 5) == 0) {
    dump_output_immediately = TRUE;
    LYcols=80;

LYMain.c line 1939/2828 66%

Using 80 is fine for 8.5 inch wide paper at 10 cpi...

------
Marvin the Paranoid Android says:
I may just be a menial robot, but I'm far too intelligent to
expect anyone to think of me for a moment.
Far far too intelligent
Far far .......

;
;