Re: LYNX-DEV JavaScript Update

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV JavaScript Update
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 18:27:57 +0000

Laura Eaves wrote:

> > 3)  [Flame here]  Does lynx really need JS anyway?
>
> Is this flame from you?

I think he meant "I expect to receive some flames on this idea; place
them here..."

> If it's not too hard to implement, it would be nice...
> But I'm still not familiar with the lanaguage and so don't know
> what it's good for.  For visually impaired persons using a screen reader,
> I would think a ticking clock in the corner would be a nuisance.
> But putting up the ticking clock is still better than not rendering the
> page at all.
> So what else is JS good for?
> (I have access to a JS book but haven't had time to read very far in it.)

SCO's documentation people have gone headfirst into it.  The
documentation for the upcoming SVR5 (aka Gemini) operating system is
full of JavaScript.  It's supposed to be readable without (Lynx is one
of the supported browsers after all).  Without JavaScript support, the
user will lose various niceties such as being able to follow certain
kinds of index and/or table of contents references.  Actually, I think
*most* of the JavaScript they're doing is for the management of frames,
so really won't matter too much to Lynx users.

A feature they *could* do, don't know if they've actually done, is:
point to a word or words in the on-screen document, and get it to search
the entire documentation set for those words.  This is the sort of thing
where JavaScript probably has legitimate uses.

>Bela<
;
;