Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx for a blind user

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx for a blind user
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 15:24:07 +0100 (BST)

> Why do you think the 386+ port from Wayne (FDISK.COM) wouldn't work?

What I said was that it would either work straight away or be very difficult.

A screen reader is almost certainly going to be a TSR.  If I were creating
a DOS extender, I would give serious consideration to doing screen output
directly, rather than switching back to real or virtual 86 mode to call the
BIOS, and I wouldn't necessarilly give control back to real mode to allow
a TSR to directly read the screen.  If that is the case, the screen reader
would have to be customised for the DOS extender.  As the main use of DOS
extenders these days is highly graphic games, I wouldn't expect there
to much of a market for 32 bit mode screen readers, possibly having to
be ported for each extender.

So basically, if the screen reader is capable of working with the DOS
extender, it should be simply a question of following the installation
instructions for the screen reader.  If it is not, the problems will likely
be so fundamental as to require a completely different approach.

Either way, I don't think that it is likely that we can contribute anything
beyond re-iterating the installation instructions for the two products; the
DOS port is so recent, that it is very likely that this will be the first
attempt to use it with a screen reader.
;
;