Re: LYNX-DEV Makefile for sco5 and sendmail...

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Makefile for sco5 and sendmail...
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 1997 15:43:41 +0000

> > (*)My quick glance at the Configure code for this was not very
> > reassuring -- it will often work, but sometimes won't.  I believe
> > /usr/mmdf/bin/submit can exist on an OpenServer system even when MMDF
>
> Does Lynx actually do anything with sendmail that isn't supported by
> the stub sendmail that comes with MMDF?

Probably not.  In fact, in testing three injection methods, I found that
the submit method currently being used by Lynx may be the worst choice.
I tried:

  $ /usr/lib/sendmail -t -oi < test.msg
  $ /usr/lib/mail/execmail address@hidden < test.msg
  $ /usr/mmdf/bin/submit -mlruxto,cc\* < test.msg

Results: both MMDF's "sendmail" and "submit" added annoying extra lines,
but submit's was much more annoying.  "sendmail" added:

  Sender: address@hidden

even though that was the same as the From: line.  "submit" added:

  Source-Info:  From (or Sender) name not authenticated.

which is really annoying.  "execmail" was clean, but its command
interface is different (you have to pass the addresses on the command
line, similar to "sendmail" without the "-t" flag).

So perhaps the best choice is to use MMDF's "sendmail" stub, and remove
all the MMDF stuff.  I suggest all MMDF-related code in configure, *.h,
etc. be commented out, leaving only the "sendmail" path.  Leave it that
way for a few ac.* sub-releases, let people try it.

>Bela<
;
;