Re: LYNX-DEV lynx-386 filename problem

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx-386 filename problem
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 07:38:56 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 21 Sep 1997, I wrote:

> world. A mime.types file (or DOS equivalent) would work, but would be
> an extra configuration step that might discourage novice DOS users
> unfamiliar with unix-type conventions.

Actually, I just checked it and mime.types does not override the default
suffix if it is already in HTInit.c.  That is, if I put a new suffix in
mime.types it becomes the new default.  If the suffix is already in the
middle of the list in HTInit.c, it does NOT become the default.  I don't
see how to avoid redoing HTInit.c in order to change the default suffix.

> DOS filenames can NEVER have 2 "." in them.  Suffixes such as .txt.gz,
> .bin.gz, .htm.Z, etc. can not be written to the filesystem.  The DOS
> version of gzip is smart about this and makes acceptable suffixes
> automatically.  Thus when "mime.typ" is gzipped, it comes out as
> "mime.tyz". I wasn't sure how this section should be handled, but
> filenames with 2 dots can't exist in DOS. I think that a DJGPP program
> can work with them internally, as long as they don't actually have to be
> written to the file system.

Here is some more information on the behavior of gzip under DOS.  If
the file to be compressed has no suffix, it adds ".gz".  If a suffix
already exists, it adds "z", if the suffix is one or two characters
long.  If the suffix is 3 characters, it substitutes "z" for  the third
character in the suffix.  On decompression, the original name is
restored if the "-N" flag is present; otherwise it removes the final "z"
or the ".gz".

Is this behavior consistent with what the lynx code expects?
                           Doug
__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden (preferred)