Re: LYNX-DEV DISPLAY variable settings

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV DISPLAY variable settings
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 23:24:53 +0000

Andreas Leitgeb wrote:

> > But he's right that it would sometimes be nice to be able to tell Lynx,
> > "Ok, now I have an X display available, please use it when I try to
> > invoke a graphical viewer."  A Lynx session has enough context that it
> > can be painful to exit and restart -- you lose your history, visited
> > pages, etc.  He's asking about adding it in mid-session.
> Thanx, Bela, you got me completely right.
> In my case this usually happens, when i use Lynx within screen, and then
> transfer my session to the nearby X-terminal (that wasn't free before).
>
> > file, get rid of the ``test=test -n "$DISPLAY"'' clause:
> >   image/jpeg; xv %s
> ... or perhaps just removing the "XWINDOWS"-keyword  in lynx.cfg
> at each "VIEWER:image/x-*"-line ...
>
> but on the other hand, I'm glad, that when  I'm actually not running  with X
> it asks me for download before actually downloading it (which it does not do,
> if it expects the external viewer to be available ...)
>
> so this trick helps , but is not really satisfactory.

Well, if you want more kludges...  You could replace the "xv %s" with a
call to a script which checks whether $DISPLAY is set; if so, does "xv
%s", otherwise dialogues with you about saving the image.  You still
wait for the download (the dialog comes after rather than before the
download), and you don't get to not-download it, but it's a step.

Changing Lynx to actually allow X to be "toggled" is certainly possible.
It's a small-to-medium project, as Lynx projects go.

> PPS: if  the problem actually only depends on setting that one flag
> (test -n "$DISPLAY"), then this can't be to hard to solve ...

Easy to kludge, medium difficulty to fix properly.  You are encouraged
to dig into the code and fix it properly.  ;-}

>Bela<
;
;