Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx Version "Bug"??

From: Craig Pearlman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx Version "Bug"??
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 09:26:17 -0400

>> Not sure if this is a bug or not.  I generally hear that Lynx users have
>> trouble getting one of the forms to return a redirected page properly.
>> The form works, but Lynx users receive a Server Error.
>
>You don't say *which* form, under which circumstances the problem occurs,
>what messages are given, and what exactly happens as opposed to what is
>expected to happen.

Pretty much, anything except the registration form (which uses an
executable and not the Java CGI that the rest do).  Good choice is to go
into Help and choose any form there.

>> I've tested this, and the server error occurs when using Lynx 2.7 (VMS)
>> and Lynx 2.6 (SunOS), but it did not occur when I used Lynx 2.4 (VMS).
>> Other people've had the same problem, usually version 2.6 or above.
>
>The latest "official" version is 2.7.1, and then there is the development
>code at <http://sol.slcc.edu/lynx/current/> and Fote's code at
><http://sol.slcc.edu/lynx/fote/patches/>.  There have been changes to
>better deal with invalid HTML etc.  You may find that your problem doesn't
>appear with a newer version (but of course you should still try to find
>out what it is...)

I don't honestly care about the versions *I* have available, but others are
expressing concern (mostly our members).  My point was that with version
2.4, this worked correctly.  With the newer versions, it doesn't.

>> This might be worth a look; if the problem's something we're causing,
>> I'd like to at least know about it, though people here tend to turn a
>> deaf ear to Lynx problems (I use it regularly, and in some cases, it's a
>> better browser alternative than the major graphic ones), so it's hard to
>> know if it will be fixed.
>
>Have you tried to validate the page(s) where the error occurs?
><http://www.webtechs.com/html-val-svc/> etc.

The error occurs with the REDIRECT done by the CGI.  It just won't redirect
to the page and returns a Server Error.

>> In checking out the site, make sure you're using Lynx 2.7 -- a recent
>> change to the authentication stuff basically makes the non-cookie Lynx
>> versions get stuck at a certain point and unable to proceed.
>
>That doesn't sound very inviting :-(

It isn't.  But this whole thing isn't my decision.  I'm the only one here
who even remotely cares about Lynx users, so I'm going to do what I can to
make sure it works.  Luckily, though, there's a fix in the works to get the
non-cookie browsers to pass the certain page; the same error occurs with
Netscape 4.x with cookies disabled (and, of course, this is enough to
incite action...).

>   Klaus

I did get a message from another 2 people, so...

-Craig.

--
address@hidden
Medscape Systems