LYNX-DEV Re: improving on the mailto:help link

From: Al Gilman
Subject: LYNX-DEV Re: improving on the mailto:help link
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 09:14:21 -0400 (EDT)

Before we commit to a plan, I want to muddy the waters by
introducing one more issue.

I believe we are now in an era when there are people who succeed
in getting Lynx binaries going over PPP on 32-bit Intel boxes who
do not have mail working from their Lynx installation.

For these people, both a mailto: anchor and a form with a mailto:
action are inoperative, no?  If we have a server where a CGI reads
the form and sends the mail, and we put a mailto: link on the
same page bearing the form, I think that is the "current best
practice" way to maximize the chance that the user has a way to
get through to us.**

So I think we could be shopping for someone who would volunteers
to host a CGI that does the form-to-mail.  This gets us plaintext
mail from antique Lynxes, too.

-- Al

Note **: It would be good to state that there is a choice of form
or mailto: before the form is encountered, for maximal
speech-friendliness.

Ref:

 Lynx links
 http://www.crl.com/%7Esubir/lynx.html