LYNX-DEV When release (was: BUG? Problem with suggested name)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: LYNX-DEV When release (was: BUG? Problem with suggested name)
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 07:57:28 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 26 Sep 1997, T.E.Dickey wrote:

> > >Foteos Macrides wrote:
> > >
> > >   The "devel" code, available via:
> > >
> > >   http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/current/
> > >
> > > is the "official Lynx development code" and wherever it goes is where Lynx
> > > will be in its next "release", whenever that occurs.
> >
> > I feel it's time that this topic - when the next 'release' will occur,
> > could be broached.  What do the folk currently doing the source code
> > integration see as issues which need to be resolved before the next
> > release occurs?  Could you project for folk your vision of the
> > time table for lynx?  Is there specific bugs or features you are awaiting?
> > How will you be determining when it is 'time' to cut a new release?
> afaik, I have no major issues (just it-would-be-nice) in the configure script.
> a release would, of course, fill up my bug list again.
>
> (it's really up to Klaus - I'm not focused on the functional issues, just
> portability & maintainability).

The main thing between now and a releasable Lynx version *as far as I am
concerned* is the chartrans stuff.  Aside from that, documentation issues
and some loose ends.

A snapshot of the development code which does character translation for
attributes and form fields should appear on sol by noon today (unless I
manage to totally screw up the code by then :) ).  I fully agree with Fote
that it's important (no surprise here...), as for why it's taking so long
- well let's not get into that now.

As for documentation, I encourage everyone to help with what Henry started
(the INSTALLATION rewrite - don't let that topic die!), and testers of the
devel code to check (and, preferably, supply!) what is missing.

To try to answer your question (How will you be determining when it is
'time'...) as directly as I can - When the stuff I am adding now for
chartrans has been tested and there has been feedback and no significant
problems (especially from users of those various character sets), AND
there are on othere severe issues brought up.

   Klaus

;
;