Re: LYNX-DEV Chargen/port 19 DOS

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Chargen/port 19 DOS
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 16:56:32 -0500 (EST)

"Benjamin C. W. Sittler" <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Fri, 26 Sep 1997, Matthew Barr wrote:
>
>> Was there a patch written for lynx to disallow connections to port 19?
>>  I saw a thread in the archives on this, but there was no resolution.
>> One person suggested ulimt, but why shouldn't someone just disallow
>> connections to port 19 from lynx?  Is there any reason to connect to
>> port 19?
>>
>> I'm not on this list,  so please reply to me directly.
>
>I have used http://somehost:19/ as a quick-and-dirty test of network
>connectivity... you just look at the status line, and abort (^G) when you
>realize it is/isn't working. But this is probably not a very common
>need...

        Current versions of Lynx will reject any URL which has port 19
specified (so I added a chargen gateway, just for you! :).

Supported URLs:
==============
   [http, https | telnet, tn3270, rlogin | gopher | file | ftp | wais |
   news, nntp, snews | newspost, newsreply, snewspost, snewsreply |
   mailto | finger | cso | chargen | lynxexec, lynxprog | lynxcgi |
   internal]

                         URL Schemes Supported in Lynx

   Lynx handles a number of URL types, that are enumerated below.
[...]
The chargen URL:

   The chargen URL is intended to provide a gateway to the chargen
   service. The requests are made on port 19 (:19). You can omit the
   port, and no other value is allowed. The format is:
      chargen://host

   Lynx will accept approximately 55 lines of characters in the stream
   returned by the server, then close the connection and display the
   lines as PRE formatted text. Note that if port 19 is used for a URL
   with a scheme other than chargen, the URL will be rejected by Lynx.
[...]

                                Fote