Re: LYNX-DEV Configure patch for SCO

From: Jonathan Sergent
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Configure patch for SCO
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 21:39:51 -0500

In message <address@hidden>, Jean-Pierre Radley writes:
 ] Klaus Weide telecommunicated:
 ] | On Sun, 28 Sep 1997, Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
 ] | > Could each successive ac.XX variant unpack to its own lynx2-7-1.XX file,
 ] | > please?
 ] |
 ] | It doesn't sound reasonable to me.
*snip*
 ] | With your change,
 ] | generating diffs, unzipping over the old tree (if you want it for
 ] | whatever reason), and applying patches all become more difficult or less
 ] | straightforward.
*snip*
 ] What that seems to me is contrary to the way almost any other public-domain
 ] program is distributed.  Elm, mutt, pine, wu-ftpd, less, gcc, groff, xv,
 ] ghostscript, inn, mawk, -- I could go on--, all of them unpack each new
 ] version into a directory whose name clearly reflects the new version number.

2.7.1-ac* releases are snapshots of a development tree, not distinct
releases.  When Fote was maintaining the source tree, new snapshots did
not have new version numbers, let alone new directory names; they do now
(I assume) since the revision control system in use assigns them.  The
directory tree name will, of course, change when a new official release
is made.

How many of those packages go through 70 releases in 5 (6?) months?

--
Jonathan Sergent / address@hidden / address@hidden
;