Re: LYNX-DEV A little Lynx/2 help needed

From: Jason F. McBrayer
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV A little Lynx/2 help needed
Date: 29 Sep 1997 09:11:52 -0600

HM> On 28 Sep 1997, Jason F. McBrayer wrote:
>> A misconception.  Though Don says he's using Lynx/2, he's actually
>> using OS/2 Lynx 2-7-1.  That's my version, which is a straight port of
>> the Unix/VMS source.  The archive referred to is available from
>> http://studentweb.tulane.edu/~jmcbray/lynx/, and also from popular
>> OS/2 ftp sites such as hobbes.nmsu.edu.  It contains context diffs
>> from the vanilla Lynx 2-7-1 code as well as OS/2 binaries.

HM> Well, what about incorporating your patches to the current lynx code?

I'd like that to happen, but my patches don't apply cleanly to the
development code.  What I want to do is to get a working OS/2 Lynx
built from the development code with as many features enabled as
possible, and to supply both patches to be integrated and a static
Makefile.os2, like the VMS and Win32 people.

My problem is that I don't really have much time to work on Lynx, and
porting the development code to OS/2 is going to be a big job because
of autoconf.  The last time I looked at the development code, there
were a lot of things that were handled in the old style some places,
and by configure in others (like NO_UTMP vs HAS_UTMP), and so far I
can't get the configure script running on OS/2.  Someone has just
ported autoconf, but I haven't had time to try it out.  I also handled
a lot of things by ad-hackery in the 2-7-1 port that I'd like to fix
properly this time.  I _really_ want to get this done before someone
packages a new Lynx release so that I can say that OS/2 support is
standard.  I don't think I'll make it though---my schedule is pretty
packed through to December.

--
Jason F. address@hidden
I hope  we shall ...  crush  in its birth  the  aristocracy of our moneyed

;