Re: LYNX-DEV Configure patch for SCO

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Configure patch for SCO
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 23:35:54 +0000

T.E.Dickey wrote:

> I don't think that I have access to any machines with a -lmalloc at the
> moment (that's just taken from Makefile.old, to cover whatever configuration
> it was originally added for).

It should be sufficient to see if a trivial program compiles
successfully with -lmalloc.  If not, no such library exists, so don't
try to link the final binary with it!

> > >           # It's a little late to do much, but try to warn user if he's
> > > using
> > >           # SCO's cc (which is reported to have broken const/volatile).
> >
> > If there are problems that affect Lynx, they can be configure-tested...
> I suppose so - if I know what the symptoms are (the comment was based
> on email from you, where you recommended using either rcc or gcc because
> of problems with const/volatile).  I've only built with cc, so I'm not
> sure what problems there might be (at least it does _compile_ and _run_,
> though there may indeed be runtime problems that I don't encounter with
> my short tests).

Ah, jeeze... now I forget whether I was just forwarding information from
an even older Lynx makefile, or if I'd actually had problems myself.
Can you forward me that old message of mine (if you still have it)...?

>Bela<
;
;