Re: LYNX-DEV DOS suggestions (for development code ac-0.73)

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV DOS suggestions (for development code ac-0.73)
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 05:36:41 -0400 (EDT)

> I personally would like to see CHANGES, CHANGES.chartrans, CHANGES.configure
> and CHANGES.new combined into one file that would be named CHANGES2-7 at
CHANGES.configure is contained within CHANGES.new;
I believe the same is true of CHANGES.chartrans
(Probably all that has to be done is rename CHANGES.new to CHANGES2-7)

> Again, it's not so much to make a "pretty picture" as to make a first-time
> build as painless as possible.  To me, and I'm probably the `stupidest'
> regular on this list, the top directory _means_ the "install" directory.
>
> >             config.guess
> >             config.hin
> >             config.sub
The first/last are supplemental scripts, not used in all distributions,
but needed for the more complex ones where you _have_ to know the type
of host (to drive the special cases, as for Ultrix).  Since they're scripts,
moving them would involve some tweaking so that the configure script would
work (and possibly creating problems...)

The middle one is a template (usually config.h.in), but we don't use names
with more than one dot.

> Not knowing anything about autoconf, I don't know what these are about,
> but I do not remember seeing them in all autoconfed distributions.  As
> Tom mentions in a later post, however, having them in the top directory
> can actually make the process more intuitive to someone attempting a build
> for the first time.

> >             build.com
> >             descrip.mms
> >             fixed512.com
>
> It would be nice to put the non-essential (for a build) VMS files into
> a sub-directory of their own, but not knowing anything about VMS, I don't
> know which files could and which ones shouldn't be filed away.
moving these would likewise require modifying them.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden