Re: LYNX-DEV config caching (was BUG? Problem with suggested name)

From: Henrik Wist
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV config caching (was BUG? Problem with suggested name)
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 12:14:33 +0200

Hi,

On Sep 27, Nelson Henry Eric wrote:

> Could someone cut-n-paste in the instructions to "properly" use the
> cache file?  I saw somewhere about renaming it so you can have a cache
> file for each type of configure you want, but for the life of me I
> can't seem to find it again.  Isn't caching a _feature_ that people
> generally want; in other words doesn't caching make it possible to
> build a new version of say Lynx without having to run configure and
> just type make in the breakout after copying in your cache file?

I *think* you mean the config.status created after every configure. If you
keep this file and run it in a fresh source directory, it creates Makefile,
config.h and whatever else configure normally creates at the end of each run
and you can then just build a new version.

If I understood correctly, config.cache is used by configure to reuse some
testresults (either later in a run of configure or at a new run of configure
with new/other options).

Hope that helps (and hope that I'm not completly wrong :-),
Henrik
--
address@hidden    // IRC: |GOOSE| //   address@hidden

"Linux. I don't have much to say about Linux except to wonder why
you aren't using FreeBSD instead." -- address@hidden in the Xaw3d-README
;